With this business rule, you can set up a schedule and automate the archivation process of your boards. For example, you can configure the rule to scan multiple boards and archive all the cards from the 'Done' section of all Cards/Initiatives workflows on those boards every Friday at 8 p.m.
Note: For the time being, the "Recurring Archive Cards" rule cannot be used to archive Timeline initiatives (from a Timeline workflow).
The rule can be further customized by excluding a particular workflow from the configuration, excluding a particular custom column of the 'Done' section, or by setting up additional filters (e.g. color=Green or tag='discarded') so the rule only triggers on cards that have those properties.
1. How to Create the Rule?
Only users with "Account Owners" or "Manage Business Rules" privileges can create business rules. Go to your Administration panel at the top right of your screen → open the Business Rules tab → select the 'Recurring archive cards' rule.
Note: If there is a set of defined rules for your account → use the Add New Rule button on the upper right side of the panel.
2. How to Set Up and Enable the Rule?
Please check out the following short video on how to set up the rule or follow the instructions below:
The "Recurring archive cards" configuration panel has the following fields and properties:
In the Name and Description fields, you can change the name of the rule and describe the scenario you will achieve with it. In this way, other users will know what is the purpose of the rule and it would be easier for administration and maintenance.
You can share the rule with other users (e.g. Workspace Managers), if appropriate. In this case, they will be able to edit/disable/enable the rule. Business Rules are a sort of "point-and-click" programming language with which you can automate any process. Each Business Rule has three main properties: When; And; Then.
Here you define a schedule for the automatic card update.
Click on Every Day → select another option according to your needs → click on Change.
Practical tip: The Advanced Schedule gives you options like “every x day of the week,” “every first/second/third/fourth Monday of every x month,” “every June in day x,” etc.
Click on Not Set to configure the advanced schedule.
Here you define the filters that specify the conditions under which the actions should be triggered.
- When users create a new rule, the Board filter will be applied by default. This means that the rule will be executed only for the boards you specify in the filter. If you remove the board property and enable the rule, it will be executed for the entire account. You can use "or" to add extra boards and optimize the scope of the rule. Use the delete icon to remove the board from the configuration.
- The 'Section is Done' property in this rule is mandatory and immutable.
- The 'Ready to Archive' section of each Cards/Initiatives workflow has a built-in automatic archivation functionality → you can learn more about archiving and unarchiving cards here.
- Click on the Add new property button to add extra filters, if necessary. Select a Regular field or/and a Custom field and click on Add.
For all time-related fields, you can select the following units: Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds.
When you have added the filter, set it up by clicking on Not set or entering a value.
Note: You can add as many filters as you wish by clicking on Add new property and repeating the steps.
Execute At: Click on the time and select an hour between 00:00 and 23:00. The time zone set for your user account is displayed by default. Note: It is important for the execution of the rule to set up your correct time zone in My Account.
Remember: To enable the rule, press the Save button at the bottom right corner of the configuration panel.