Table of Contents:
The first step after registering your Businessmap account is to create a Workspace.
1. Introduction to Workspaces
Think of a Workspace as the environment that collects the Kanban Boards of different departments in your organization into one central space. Workspaces are available in the All Workspaces (Home Page) Dashboard and are represented by a green or blue icon, depending on their type.
The Security Controls and the Card Controls provide а way to manage your security environment at a global account level. You need to be an Account Owner or have the "Create Workspaces" privilege to be able to create a Workspace.
There is a permission that is controlled from the Security Controls in the Administration:
- Only Account Owners can create or clone workspaces and boards — If enabled, only Account Owners can create workspaces and boards. If disabled, Workspace Managers can create boards, too.
- Only Account Owners can delete workspaces and boards — If disabled, Workspace Managers can delete the boards they are assigned to.
3. How to Create a New Workspace
You can create as many workspaces as you need and each workspace can contain multiple boards.
Step 1: To create a new workspace, use the plus icon in the "My Workspaces" section.
You can select to create a Team Workspace (1) or a Management Workspace (2).
(1) The Team Workspace is a collection of team boards where a team collaborates. A typical Workplace name would be “Engineering,” “Marketing,” “Operations,” “Research and Development,” etc. Under the Workspace, you can create multiple boards to reflect the processes of the team in the respective department.
For example, under the "Marketing" team Workspace, you can create “Content Writers board,” “SEO board,” “Marketing Research board,” etc.
(2) The Management Workspace is designed for Project Managers, Project owners, Delivery managers, and C-level managers. The Management Workspace capability allows managers to select any existing boards they are interested in and display their respective Initiatives' workflows all in one place. The boards you select usually represent projects or products that you manage across the account.
This creates a unified visualization platform that allows managers to watch and track the progress of all Initiatives in their projects.
Adding More Boards to the Workspace
The workspace and the initial board (you need at least one board per Team or Management workspace) get created in your All Workspaces Home Page. If you want to add new Boards that belong to the respective workspace, you have to click the “New board” icon and give it a name. Note that every Board you create can be customized to reflect a different process through the workflow designer.
Businessmap allows you to create multiple custom dashboards with highly customizable layouts to meet the unique needs of your organization. When you create your Dashboard, you select to add a Workspace (1) or a Widget (2) in order to keep all vital information for a certain project, team, or any business division on one screen.
It is possible to use dashboards at any level of your business operations. You can select to organize your dashboards by departments, projects, teams, and product categories that suit your business or individual needs.