In this article:
Process efficiency is one of the key Kanban metrics that helps you track how optimized your workflows are and how well your teams work together to get things done. In Businessmap, you can track that through out Process Efficiency widget. Here is how to set it up and gain more insights about your work.
1. Introduction to the Process Efficiency Widget
The Process Efficiency widget operates per Board and helps teams monitor how efficient their work process is. This widget automatically generates the efficiency metric. It calculates the ratio between value-adding time and the lead time required to complete the work and provides the results in percentage.
- The cycle time configuration of your board is crucial for the proper work of the efficiency widget calculator. Make sure that the system tracks the time that each card spends in the different process stages.
- The efficiency widget works only for workflows where columns are marked as “activity” or “queue.” This setup is configured from the workflow designer.
Once added, the widget shows the efficiency metric of the selected workflow and indicates Improvement or Regression compared to the previous period.
2. How to Add the Widget to Your Dashboard?
Step 1: Open a custom Dashboard of your choice and click on Add Widget to open the dedicated widgets panel.
Step 2: Select the "Process Еfficiency" widget.
Step 3: Configure your widget with the Board minimap tool:
- Select the board (1) from the dropdown menu for which you want to measure the process efficiency.
The Board minimap will instantly visualize the current board structure.
- Select the workflow (2) for which the efficiency widget will collect data. It can be either one flow (single swimlane) or all swimlanes on the board. To select more than one swimlane, use CTRL and click on the lanes to mark them in blue. The widget will automatically calculate the efficiency of the specified flows and when you save it, it will be added to your Dashboard.
3. How to Manage the Widget Settings?
Once you add the widget to your dashboard, you can further configure it. Use the three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the widget to access its menu. Click on Settings from the dropdown.
This will open the widget's configuration panel, where you can fine-tune your results:
Add a filter (1) — Click on the link to add a filter and select your criteria.
Filters help you monitor data for a particular owner, groups of cards, and cards with a certain priority, color, size, type, or reporter. You can even calculate the efficiency for a single card of interest, filtered by its ID, or all cards created on a date of your choice. Similar to other widget configurations, you can include all of your custom fields in the filter.
Change the board or swimlane (2) — choose which boards or swimlanes to take data from.
Define the time frame (3) for the metric — select the period you want to get results for.
You can get the efficiency metric for:
- This week
- This Month
- Last week
- Last month
- Last 7 days
- Last 14 days
- Last 30 days
Apply an additional filter (4) — set up a filter that excludes weekends, outliers, and/or focuses on specific time intervals to get more accurate calculations:
- Exclude weekends when efficiency is calculated.
- Remove the values that "lie outside" (are much smaller or larger than) most of the other values in a set of data using the interquartile range (IQR) method.
- Calculate the efficiency only for a certain period of the day.
4. Additional Widget Options
From the three-dot menu of the Process Efficiency widget, you can also perform the following actions:
- Rename the widget.
- Clone (copy) the widget to another dashboard of your choice.
- Expand or collapse the widget — increase the size to get a better view of the results or reduce the size to make space for other widgets.
- Refresh the widget — the data is automatically refreshed once per day, but you can do that manually as well by clicking on the Refresh option.
- Remove the widget from the current dashboard.