In this article:
1. The Board Sidebar Location
The Board sidebar is located on the right side of each board interface. It provides quick access to the most frequently used features in Businessmap. Keep in mind that the Board Sidebar lets users with the necessary Board Permissions make changes on a board level. If you want to make changes on a global/account level, you need to go to the Account Administration panel and have the necessary admin privileges.
2. Overview of the Board Sidebar Features
From the Sidebar, users can perform certain actions and access the following functionalities (from top to bottom):
(1) Create New Card/Initiative — Use the plus button on the top of the Sidebar to create а new card and/or an Initiative. Unless you specify a default position for new cards (from the Board Settings menu), by default, the new card/initiative will get created in the uppermost workflow of your board. For example, if you have a Portfolio Initiative Workflow at the top of your board, the new card will be created as an initiative in the Requested column. You can learn more about creating cards and initiatives here.
(2) Card Tokens — From this tab, you control blockers and stickers. You can use a blocker to block cards or a sticker to additionally mark them with a certain label for categorization. For more information, check the dedicated card tokens article.
(3) Board Filter — Filter your board to instantly visualize only cards that match certain criteria (for example: Owner = John). Read more about using the board filter here.
(4) My Queue and Worklog — Use this feature to quickly see all cards that are assigned to you across all workspaces and boards. The panel allows you to check how much time was logged on every task. For more information, check the dedicated “My Queue and Worklog” article.
(5) Related Boards — Use this feature to connect boards and easily break down work or create card relations. Drag & drop a card from "board X" onto a related board to create a new linked card. For more information, check the dedicated article on related boards.
(6) Board Background — Make your workflow more stylish by adding an image or set a color as a background for your board. You can learn more about configuring your board background here.
(7) Import Cards — Importing Kanban cards using Excel is the quickest way to populate your Kanban board in bulk without having to create and fill in each card manually. For more information, check the dedicated import tool article.
(8) Configure Views — Decide which card and initiative properties to be visible in the closed card view. For more information, check the dedicated view settings article.
(9) Invite users — Account Owners and users with the “Invite Users” admin privilege can invite users directly from their boards. Check the dedicated article to learn more.
(10) Board Policies — Use the Board Policies panel to review, create, or edit the arrival or departure conditions that apply to the different stages in your workflow. This is also the place where you can access or create the purpose of the board through the Description section. When you open the Board Policies panel, you will see five fields:
- Board level policies
- Workflow policies
- Column policies
- Lane policies
- Cell policies
(11) More Options (three dots icon) — this menu provides access to the following features:
- Calendar — it offers a calendar view of all cards that have set deadlines on all boards you have access to.
- Board Settings — it lets you set a default owner and position for new cards created on the board.
- Board Webhooks — a quick and easy way to integrate Businessmap with another system (through webhooks) and receive notifications in real time when changes occur on the board.
- Manage Tags per board — use the Board Tags Management menu to disable, enable, and add tags to the board.
- Manage Types per board — use the Board Types Management menu to disable, enable, and add card types to the board.
- Manage Templates — use the Board Templates Management menu to disable, enable, and add card templates to the board.
- Manage Custom Fields — use the Board Custom Fields Management menu to disable, enable, and add custom fields to the board.
- Milestones — use the Board Milestones Management menu to disable, enable, add, and edit milestones on the board.
(12) Card Zoom Switch — Control the zoom-in or zoom-out view of your board. You can learn more about it in the dedicated card zoom switch article.