In this article:
The card and initiative view settings in Businessmap help you customize your board so all essential information is readily visible. By handpicking the card details to display in the closed card/initiative view, you can easily review your work and monitor your progress at a glance. Here is how to use the Configure views panel.
1. Introduction to the View Settings in Businessmap
To access your view settings, navigate to the board sidebar and select the Configure views icon.
This will open the configuration menu where you can customize both your initiatives and cards’ closed view for the current board. The panel contains two separate configuration menus — one for cards (1) and one for initiatives (2).
Use the filter in the upper left corner of the configuration panel to quickly find the settings you need.
1.2. Available Views
At the top of the configuration panel, you will see there are four available views (see image above) — View 1 (large), View 2 (normal), View 3 (compact), and View 4 (bird eye). The default view for new boards is View 1.
Views 1 and 2 let you visualize all available card details, while Views 3 and 4 are more compact and have certain limitations (check pt. 2) to the elements you can configure to display in the closed view.
Aside from the Configure Views panel, you can also switch between views from the icons at the bottom of the sidebar. Double-clicking on either of the zoom icons will open the view settings of that specific zoom level.
1.3. Default View Settings
Workspace Managers can configure and update the default view for a board by enabling the Save settings as default for the view option located at the bottom of the Configure Views panel. This will not affect the existing view settings of users who already have access to the board. The change will apply to every new user added to the board.
In addition, every user can revert their settings to the default view configured for the board (by the Workspace Manager) by clicking on the Restore view settings to default button.
2. Configuration Elements
Below are the card details you can show or hide in your view configuration. Note that some elements apply only to the Card view or the Initiative view.
- Card size (applicable to Card view only) — select the size you want your cards to be. You can choose between tiny, small, normal, and big.
- Height (applicable to Initiative view only) — choose how high you want your initiatives to be. The height will determine what details will be visible in the closed view. For Low and Very low, you can only configure the visualization of Links (Group by, Group order, Order by, and Order direction).
- Attachments — select how to display attachments (icon, row), or choose to hide them.
- Co-owners — choose whether you want to show a card or initiative’s co-owners.
- Color entire card surface — decide whether to colorize the entire card/initiative with the selected color or turn it off.
- Comments — select to show comments or hide them in the closed view.
- Cover image — choose whether to show the cover image in the closed card/initiative view.
- Custom fields — choose if and how to display custom fields. The 4 standard fields (Reporter, Created at, Last modified, and Last moved) are also included in these settings.
- You can choose to include all standard and custom fields (Include → All), or handpick the fields (added to the board) that you want to see in the closed card view (Include → Custom).
- The additional Filled fields only option lets you visualize only the custom fields that have values. For example, if you have enabled this setting and have chosen to display custom fields as an icon, you will see the icon and the number of custom fields that have been filled out for the card/initiative.
- Cycle time — select if and how to display the total cycle time.
- Deadline — select if and how to display the deadline of the card/initiative.
- Exit criteria — choose if and how to show the exit criteria. With the Row (unchecked only) option, you can only display the exit criteria that are yet to be checkmarked.
- ID — choose if and how to display the card/initiative’s ID.
- Links — select if and how to display the card links in the closed view. There are additional configuration options:
- Link types — select which link types to include in the results
- Sections — show linked cards located only in the selected sections
- Group by — choose how to group your card links in the visualization.
- Group order — If you decide to group links by Link Type, you can customize the order in which they are displayed. Just drag and drop the options to the desired sequence. The default order is parents, children, relatives, predecessors, and successors.
- Order by — choose how to sort the links. If the Group by option is also enabled, the system will prioritize the grouping setting and then it will sort links within each group separately.
- Order direction — sort linked cards in an ascending (numeric values first, alphabetic values second) or descending (alphabetic values first, numeric values second) order.
- Let’s look at an example. Let’s say your source card has two linked cards, one of which has a Custom ID: A1, and the other has a Card ID: 123. If you have chosen to group links by Custom ID if present, Card ID if not, the A1 card will be displayed first if you select Descending, and second if you select Ascending order.
- Local cycle time — select if and how to display the local cycle time.
- Logged time — select if and how to display the logged time for the card/initiative. You have two additional options:
- Include the logged time for subtasks
- Include the logged time for the source card’s children.
- Outcomes (applicable to Initiative view only) — choose if and how to display the progress of your outcomes.
- Owner — choose if and how to display the owner of the card/initiative.
- Priority — choose if and how to display the priority of the card/initiative.
- Size — choose if and how to display the size of the card/initiative.
- Stickers — choose if and how to visualize stickers applied to the card/initiative.
- Subtasks — choose if and how to display the subtasks of the card/initiative. You can select to show only unfinished subtasks.
- Tags — choose if and how to display the tags of the card/initiative.
- Title (applicable to Card view only) — select how to display the title of your cards. You can choose to show the full title, the first 4 lines, or the first 2 lines.
- Type — choose if and how to display the type of the card/initiative.
- Some selected card details may not be visible for timeline initiatives if their duration is too short or your timeband view is configured to a larger time unit (e.g. quarters).
- If a user does not have certain permissions to view card elements, there will be a notification message. For example, if comments are enabled in the closed card view and you do not have permission to see card comments, you will see the message “You don't have permissions to see comments” when you hover over the comments icon.