In this article:
1. How to Access the Log Time Panel?
Every user can log time on cards to track the pure time they spend on a given task or a subtask. You can do that through the Log time functionality. There are several ways to access the log time panel and enter the time spent on a certain task.
Option 1: Click the card context icon or right-click the card itself to open the Context menu and go to "Log time" to open the panel.
Option 2: Open your card/initiative and click on the card settings icon at the top right corner → select Log Time to open the panel.
Option 3: Configure your card view settings (checkmark: Show logged time) to display the logged time property in the closed card view. The system allows you to access the Log time panel just by clicking on the Log time icon/metric that is displayed.
2. How to Log Time?
Check out the following short video or follow the instructions below:
When you access the Log time panel, you will see the visualization of the card breakdown (if any) on the left side of the panel. For example, if the card has any subtasks, they will be displayed there.
*Open the image in a new tab to get a closer view.
- You have to choose either the task itself or a subtask to log time against and add a checkmark.
- Then, enter the time metric (1) (e.g. 1, 1.5, 1d 2h, 1.5d, 20m) to track the exact time you spent working on the activity.
- Select the date for your entry (2). You can log time in the past (if you forgot to) or in the future (if you anticipate) depending on your particular use case.
- Provide a description if necessary (3) (you can insert a work-related comment).
- Click on the Log time button (4) to log the time.
The time you have logged will be instantly displayed at the bottom of the panel.
In addition to that, you can:
- Edit/Delete an entry (5): If you want to edit or delete the time you entered, use the corresponding Actions icons. Do not forget to click the checkmark to save your changes.
- See the total logged time (6) of the card and its subtasks combined. The result is always displayed in hours.
- If a user logs time against a subtask and at a later point in time deletes it, then the logged time still persists in the total card logged time. The logged time metric gets displayed/stored in the card Metrics tab, Worklog report, and My Worklog panel.
- The system accepts that 1 day equals 8 hours (a.k.a. one standard working day). That is why if you log 2 days, the total logged time shown at the bottom of the log panel will be 16 hours.
3. How to Track the "Logged Time" Metrics?
The logged time you enter is stored in the Metrics tab of the corresponding card. The tab provides an overview of the: Lead/Elapsed time, Logged time, and Blocked Time per column for the card you have opened. For more details, please check p. 4 in The Time Metrics in Businessmap article.
4. How to Generate a Worklog Report?
Worklog reports can be generated for a specific board(s) or a group of tasks/users by setting up a custom search in the Worklog reporting tool. To access it, you need to click on the Reporting tool icon located in the upper right corner of the Businessmap interface. You can learn how to generate Worklog reports in the dedicated article.
Important: All regular users can check how much time was logged on every task from My Queue and Worklog (check p. 3). You can choose to see how much time has been accumulated: today, yesterday, this week, last week, this month, last month.